This post is term time only (36 weeks per annum,).
Apollo Teaching Services is a leading teaching supply agency providing teachers and support staff to local schools.
We ask our staff to share our core values of perseverance, integrity, compassion and creativity, and to have the skills and patience to support vulnerable children in the schools we work with
Overall Purpose of the Post
The School Counsellor will be part of a multidisciplinary team that supports the physical, mental health and emotional wellbeing of students at any school.
You will work closely with the school to contribute to the achievement of the aims and objectives of the school through the delivery and implementation of one-to-one counselling sessions and/or workshops with pupils and by effectively:
- Providing a high-quality counselling service to students experiencing a wide range of emotional problems.
- Providing support, guidance, and advice to students
- Observing confidentiality and to support the school’s endeavours to provide excellent teaching and learning for all students.
- Contributing to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare and personal care of children and young people
A degree-level qualification and/or proven experience in counselling
A qualification and/or proven experience in working with children or adolescents
Ability to work independently and use own initiative
Previous experience of working in a school / educational environment
Apollo is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
The following is mandatory:
- To participate in all training specific to the role or any training identified by Apollo Teaching Services
- to uphold the school’s policies relating to safeguarding & child protection, behaviour, Health & Safety and all other relevant policies
- to promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons that you may meet
- to ensure full compliance with all statutory regulations and communicating concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Head Teacher of the school immediately
Main Duties (This list should be seen as illustrative rather than prescriptive).
- To provide a confidential counselling service to students responding to their personal, social, emotional, or educational concerns.
- To help develop and/or deliver a workshop programme for the school students to support their emotional wellbeing
- To promote a caring and supportive environment where such concerns may be explored, thereby promoting the mental and emotional health of the student
- To uphold good practice and remain impartial
- To liaise regularly with the school dedicated person (Head of Pastoral Care / Head Teacher etc) with regards to the pupils you meet
- To maintain appropriate records if necessary
- To liaise with school staff and other professionals as appropriate to ensure the effective operation of the service
- To play an active role in Safeguarding children and adhere to the school’s safeguarding guidance
- To work with a diverse range of issues including transition, sexuality, eating disorders and self-harm, depression, anger management, anxiety, and fears.
Skills and Abilities
- To be responsible for your own Continuing Professional Development which will assist your position in your role
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Positive communication and listening skills
- Patience, tolerance and sensitivity
- A mature and non-judgemental outlook
|Flexible hours to suit the needs of the school.|
The position will be term time only